My ONE year old.
One year ago, we became a family of four. What a ride it has been. It's interesting learning what Blake would become in one year. It's almost as though I can imagine exactly what she is going to be like when she get's older. There has been quite a theme with her.
My pregnancy was fairly easy aside from the near miscarriage at about 5-6 weeks. After that, it was pretty similar to my first. I would say that Blake was busier but not anything crazy.
11 days before my actual due date, I went to a doctor's appointment and knew after seeing her, I would be giving birth within the next 24 hours.
After that appointment, I felt like a ticking time bomb. I was so excited to deliver #2. I was mostly excited to do it right this time after having a rough recovery with Collin. About 9 hours after being admitted to the hospital, it was time to get this party started. My doctor popped in for a quick minute before heading off to surgery. She was confident that 'this time' was going to be a piece of cake. I was "pushing great" as everyone kept telling me. I felt good and couldn't wait to meet our little nameless gal.
"One more push and she's here!" my doctor told me. She was so calm and frankly, so was I.
UNTIL....
all I remember hearing was, "We've got a shoulder dystocia. Start timing!" It got pretty chaotic. Matthew and I couldn't look at each other. We were both on the verge of tears. In a matter of moments, I had Matthew holding one leg, 2 nurses flying out of no where and literally laying on top of my stomach, 2 nurses 'down there', along with the doctor twisting and turning that little baby. The doctor kept saying, "Oh my! I've never seen a baby flip like that!"
So wouldn't you know, that busy little wild and crazy Blake decided to make her way into this world exactly fitting to her personality that came along with her. Now one year later, I wouldn't expect any other entrance!
Some things I want to remember...and might not want to remember but can't forget
*I walked around the Farmer's Market just hours before going to the hospital
*My last meal was Super Mex with the Rosenlof's.
*I happened to have my house professionally cleaned the day before I went to the hospital (blessing)
*At my appointment that day, my doctor told me that there would be no time to waste getting to the hospital and that it would be okay if Collin were in the room for the delivery. ****at that point, I was reconsidering my choice of doctor! I was not about to have my 2 year old asking for fruit snacks in between contractions.
*Ryan worrying if he should sleep with his clothes by his bed in case he has to come over in the middle of the night to watch Collin
*Ryan's mom coming over at 5am to watch Collin when Ryan left for work (it takes a village)
*Being excited to learn that my first nurse had the exact same birthday as me. Even the year. I thought we'd be instant friends...until she took 4 failed attempts and getting the IV in my arm(s) while managing to 'blow a vein'.
*Hearing that this delivery did more damage than my first and totally breaking down...more than once
*Sally...the best nurse in the mother baby unit EVER!
*Matthew changing about a hundred poopy diapers in 3 days and us not knowing that there was a serious plumbing problem with our baby.
*The Rosenlof Family. Saving me from worrying about Collin and her happiness and safety
*Coming home from the hospital and 3 of us having pink eye.
*Somehow developing a cough that went undiagnosed for 6 months and turned out to be asthma which I am now permanently medicated for.
*Learning one week after being home from the hospital that Blake would have to have surgery
*Me crying a LOT every time Blake would feel uncomfortable
*Falling in love all over again with a new baby
*Being grateful for an easy transition with Collin as a big sister
It's been a heck of a year...but I'll take it any day for my sweet, silly, wild and crazy BLAKERS!






8 comments:
i loved reading every bit of that...getting the chills and even being on the verge of tears. wow, what a first year in deed! you're a great mom megan! happy first blake!
You have had quite the first year, little Blake! Happy Birthday!
oh wow! What a year in deed! Sure love that little gal!!
Oh so sweet! I remember that day so well. Not that I was there or anything, but you forgot to mention in your post that russ kissed me for the first time (haha). I love the day blake was born!! I'm looking forward to seeing her (and the rest of you) in a few months!
I'm a little tired after reading all of that. I am so sorry I don't recall most of what you wrote. You should have added sitting on the phone explaining my hellish delivery to Lisa and all she could talk about was herself. Sheesh!
Happy Birthday Blakers! We love you, mucho.
Oh the memories!! I totally agree about Blake's "smashing" arrival. It has been one heck of a year, brings me to tears. Love that fun little crazy girl!!
Really really enjoyed reading this post Meegan :) Thanks. Happy Birthday sweet Blake!
wow, high drama! i was hanging on every word. miss you and that little one year old.
Post a Comment